The Road To Sardinia / Coda Care
A 1800 km long musical roadtrip with a custom mobile drum & bass soundsystem to raise awareness, concern and extra funding for CODA vzw (https://coda.care/) and their incredible services.
Wanna know more?
At the end of the summer of 2022 we (Kris and Filip Martens) will take our mobile soundsystem (a custom built Piaggio Ape 500) on a 7 day roadtrip from Antwerp (Belgium) to San Teodoro (Sardinia), where we – if all goes according to plan - will arrive at the 17th edition of the Sun And Bass festival (https://sunandbass.net/site/).
At a maximum speed of 60km/h we will cover more then 1800 km, setting up camp in 7 different cities in Belgium, France and Italy. On at least four unexpected locations we will organise a free public outdoor party with both local and (hopefully) international drum & bass and jungle dj’s, combined with online broad/narrowcasting events and interventions trough our facebook and instagram page.
Both drum & bass fans and general public will be urged to donate to this charity project via a get funded fundraiser or directly to he charity organisation.
To celebrate life with drum & bass and raise money for and awareness of CODA palliative (day) care centre (https://coda.care/home) as that’s where both of our parents spend their last days in the presence of their friends and family in 2014 and 2018 before dying from cancer.
The road trip in a way is also a tribute to the positivity and energy of our parents and all the volunteers working at CODA.
As all the pieces of this project fell together for us at Sun And Bass 2018, it was obvious for us both that the end of our musical and spiritual journey had to be at the beautiful beaches of Sardinia, where great music, great people and great food (quality of life) come together.
The itinerary below is a provisory one, keep an eye on the event pages as changes can be made for practical reasons or if asked for by (potential) sponsors or partners:
• Day 0 - kick off party (Antwerp)
• Day 1 - Antwerp > Chimay (Belgium): 180 km
• Day 2 - Chimay > Brienne-Le-Chateau (France): 230 km
• Day 3 - Brienne-Le-Chateau > Chalon-sur-Saône (France): 230 km
• Day 4 - Chalon-sur-Saône > Vienne (France): 210 km
• Day 5 - Vienne > Avignon: 210 km
• Day 6 – Avignon > Toulon > Porte Torres (Sardinia/Italy): 530 km (incl. Ferry)
• Day 7 - Porte Torres > San Teodoro (Sardinia/Italy): 150 km
Jungle and drum & bass aficionado’s since the late 90’s and promoting various jungle and drum & bass nights and festivals with their Connected Crew in Belgium since 2005, both Kris and Filip share the love for fast breakbeats, heavy bass, friendly vibes and unforgettable moments with friends and family.
• Kris Martens (15/06/1979)
‘Makloezi the mechanic’ is in charge of all things technical.
Professional occupation: Research coördinator Sunstainable Mobility (KDG)
• Filip Martens (07/03/1977)
Dj/producer MDRLR is in charge of all things musical.
Professional occupation: Marketing Manager Cultural Department (City of Antwerp)
• Road crew:
Cedric Lingier (Event & Tour Manager)
Joris Bulckens (Photography & Media) https://www.jokko.be
Thomas Van Hoofstadt en Joris Aertsen (Logistics)
• Graphic Design: Jules De Mayer
• ‘Into The Deep’ is Connected Crew’s longest running music concept with indoor and outdoor events (with artist such as Dj Flight, Icicle, Fanu, Utah Jazz, Phase, etc.) and the ‘Explorations’ podcast focussing on the deeper, moody side of jungle and drum and bass.